Well, the “HOW” part is hardly something to brag about. I’m not gonna lie: this wasn’t a pretty build. When I got the plastic analogue camera, I couldn’t believe I had to, essentially, destroy it: it was so simple and pretty and nice to hold. I thought how it’d be a great camera on which my daughter could learn about photography, film and light (I know, how archaic!). But the idea of finding
110 120 film and paying for processing convinced me otherwise. So trying to think of a design, I was inspired by some scraps of 100-year-old bard wood in our garage. I would build a birdhouse around the camera.
I first imagined a proper house, with a removable bottom for access to the camera….like so you could actually take pictures remotely of, possibly, birds. But then I realised the wood is very thick, prone to splitting when it is cut into small pieces, and basically an overall temperamental medium. So, to plan B: a single-panel sloped roof design. This was more easily executed, since some of the wood pieces already had a 45° cut on one end. Murray suggested we use softer and thinner pine pieces (of which we also had scraps in the garage) for the front. A great idea, since it allowed us to fit the Diana’s lens right through to the other side — with the help of this nasty-looking drill attachment (which certainly has a proper name, of which I am not aware).
A ton of cursing, a jug of wood glue and some blue paint later, it was done! Read more about the gallery showing and the more technical promo info at my post for The Dears. Also, as a valued reader of my blog, I’m extending to any of you the possibility of attending the gallery opening in Toronto on Thursday, September 8th. Email me at natalia.scifi (at) gmail.com and I will send the info to you so you can RSVP and attend the opening party!